Springtime is here! Celebrate the warmer weather with these spring-themed sugar cookies.
When it comes to finding a simple, yet tasty sugar cookie recipe, I always use Aunt Mary’s Sugar Cookies recipe from the Best of Bridge Collection. It’s crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside texture makes for the best consistency and perfect template for decorating.
Here is the Best of Bridge recipe:
2 cups white sugar
2 cups butter, room temperature
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. lemon extract (or almond)
5 cups flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
Sugar for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter.
- Add beaten eggs and lemon extract.
- Sift dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture.
- Chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll on generously floured surface to 3-6 mm thick.
- Cut with cookie cutter.
- Sprinkle cookies with sugar.
- Place on un-greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.
**As this recipe makes 9 dozen cookies, I tend to half the ingredients if I am baking for a small group.
Once the cookies are baked, I let them cool for approximately 15 minutes before decorating.
Icing Sugar Recipe
1 cup of icing sugar
1/2 tsp of vanilla
2 tbsp of milk or water
- Mix together all ingredients until consistent.
- For a more liquid consistency, add milk and water as needed.